Saturday 22 September 2012

Afternoon Tea

The local Ladies asked me to join them for Afternoon Tea, (note the capitals). I readily agreed as I have found them to be full of fun and mischief on a level which I had never expected to be hiding under the folds of, what I consider, 'proper' Englishness!

Donning my hastily assembled Afternoon Tea glad-rags I found myself at Appleby Manor (See pic above and their blog here). Now this place is beautiful. It is a four star hotel with all the luxuries like spa and pool, (which are hidden away who knows where), and caters to everything from full hotel stays to the notorious Afternoon Teas.

With Huge Log fireplaces surrounded by cushy antique style chairs and a newly refurbished conservatory which is a fantastic spot to look out over the garden and pathways. The gardens are a riot of colour and at this time of the year that is no mean feat. I was told all of the grounds are looked after by one man, a man who is the owners father no less! A parents job is never done it seems so I may stick to dogs.

The smartly presented 'Tea' was astounding. To me, being a typical Irish lass, tea is a pot filled with water and you know... tea. This was a whole new world of cakes, pastries, sandwiches, jams and a generally stunning show of gluttony. Bonus!

That evening as I revelled in my new-found refinement, (after all I was a Lady by association by now... wasn't I?), I mentioned to a friend of mine that I had made it through without throwing anything over myself or anyone else and I deserved some congratulations on said new-found refinement. Her response: "Refinement my arse, its scoffing cakes and cream into ones gub whilst bitching about all and sundry." I could only laugh and look forward to my next scone with jam and cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment